Sherlock Combs Genealogy® provides the following genealogy services:
The game’s afoot! Whether you are a beginner with enthusiasm but no time, or someone who has reached a brick wall with the research you have already completed, Sherlock Combs Genealogy® can be on the case!
Because I can read Russian, and have access to ever increasing numbers of digitized documents from academic libraries in the former Soviet Union, I can find things from the Old Country that other people can’t.
Russian-language documents from the 19th and early 20th century are my specialty, both narrative and columnar formats. These include vital records (birth, marriage, divorce, death), reviski skazki (the equivalents to a U. S. Federal census), passports, and other types of documents.
Genealogy Presentations/Speaking Topics
- Introduction to Jewish Genealogy
- American Warp, Jewish Weft: Weaving Jewish-specific Sources with Traditional Genealogy
- Learn Just Enough Russian for Genealogy
- From Babel to Benefit: Foreign-Language Translation Tips for Genealogists
- Real World DNA: Delights and Disappointments
- From Chernorudka to Chicago – Lessons Learned From Tracing One Family’s Immigration Pathway
- Death Decoded: Documenting Death With or Without a Death Certificate
- Pandemic! How the 1918 Spanish Flu Affected Your Family
- Dating Your 20th Century Family Photos
- Sticking to the Union: Using Labor Union Documents for Genealogical Research
- Let No (Wo)Man Put Asunder: Researching Ancestors Who Divorce
- Sensitive Subjects in Genealogy
- Finding the Kernel of Truth in Your Family’s Stories
- Is There a Baby Catcher in Your Bloodline? (aka Is There a Midwife in Your Mishpocha?)
- Is There a Doctor in the House? Researching Physician Ancestors
- The Family Patchwork – Stitching Families Separated by History Back Together
Each presentation can be customized for your specific needs.
Please contact me for more information.